Apart from hand tools, machines and portable tools are also used in woodwork to cut, plane, drill holes, and shape items. Some common woodwork machines are band saw, surface planer, thicknesser and circular saw.
The band saw is a machine used to cut curves and straight lines in thick and thin pieces of wood. The wood to be cut is placed on a table, in order to make contact with the teeth of the blade as it revolves. The band saw reduces the stress of woodworkers when slicing timber.
The surface planning machine is used in removing marks and twists on the face of the wood. It is used for making the surface of the timber smoother.
The thicknesser is a woodwork machine used for planning to a specific thickness. It is similar to the surface planer. This machine is used to produce correct thickness by setting the cutter to the desired size.
The circular saw is used to prepare or resaw timber into suitable sizes for articles of joinery, furniture and some other items made of wood. This machine has a table, with a revolving knife protruding above the table.
The drill press is used to drill holes in wood. However, it can be adapted to carry out other operations such as mortising, shaping, shading and boring.
The wood lathe is used for turning wood. A turning chisel is attached to the machine to turn timber planks into circular timbers.
1. What are four examples of woodwork machines?
2. What is a band saw?
3. What is the function of a surface planer?
4. What is a wood lathe machine used for?
5. What are the differences between a circular saw machine and a band saw?
6. Why is a thicknesser of more advantage than a surface planer?
7. What is the usefulness of a surface planer?
8. Mention examples of furniture that a lathe machine can be used to make
9. Describe a band saw
10. What hand tool is used along with the wood lathe machine?
(Image sources: https://grobbandsaw.com, https://www.amazon.com, https://www.nsncenter.com, http://www.larosagroup.com, https://www.iemuk.com, http://www.caple.in, http://mmrental.com, http://www.bestcabinettablesaw.com)