Ceramics are objects made from clay and hardened by heat. Most flower vases, mugs, plates and electrical insulation materials are ceramics.
USES OF CERAMICS
1. Ceramics are used for making bakery ovens.
2. Ceramics are used for making furnaces.
3. They are also used in building construction to make bricks, cement blocks, wash hand basins, toiler bowls and sinks.
4. Ceramics are used for making flower vases, sculptures and some household utensils.
5. Ceramics are good household materials. They are also resistant to chemical attack.
6. Ceramics are used as insulators in the transmission and distribution of electric power.
According to Wikipedia, glass is a non-crystalline amorphous solid that is often transparent and has widespread practical, technological, and decorative usage in, for example, window panes, tableware, and optoelectronics.
USES OF GLASS
1. Glass is used for making bottles, bulbs, flower cases, mugs, tumblers, doors and windows.
2. They are also used to make eyeglasses, magnifying glasses and binoculars.
3. Glass is used in mirrors, windscreens of vehicle, televisions screens and computer screens.
Plastic is a material consisting of any of a wide range of synthetic or semi-synthetic organics that are malleable and can be molded into solid objects of diverse shapes.
There are two main types of plastic, viz: thermoset plastics and thermoplastics.
Thermoplastics are plastics which are softened by heat and can be re-moulded into different shapes. Examples of such plastics are acrylic, polypropylene, polystyrene, polythene and PVC.
Thermosets are those plastics that formed by heat process but are then set (like concrete) and cannot change shape by reheating. Good examples or thermosets are melamine (kitchen worktops), Bakelite (black saucepan handles), polyester and epoxy resins.
Uses of thermoplastics
Thermoplastics are used for making the following:
1. Bottles and toys
2. Lamp shades
3. Food containers
4. Disposable cutlery, cups and plates
5. Car rear light covers
7. Radio cases
8. Pen cases
9. Drawing instruments
10. Plumbing fittings
Uses of thermoset plastics
Thermoset plastics are used for making the following:
1. Household containers
3. Chairs and tables
5. Electrical fittings
6. Kitchenware handles
7. Coating for paper and textiles
8. Electrical switch covers
9. Meter cases
Natural rubber, also called India rubber or caoutchouc, as initially produced, consists of polymers of the organic compound isoprene, with minor impurities of other organic compounds plus water.
|Rubber is made from latex which comes from the rubber tree|
USES OF RUBBER
Rubber is used in the manufacturing industries to produce the following:
1. Car and bicycle tires
2. Footwear, e.g. rubber shoes, sandals, slippers and boots
5. Shock-dampers and engine mountings.